Saturday, February 23, 2013

"Quick" recap

I wrote some of this post a few months ago and never got around to posting it!
My blogging desire went down the drain after having Oliver. I really need to make it more of a priority because I love looking back at Owen's post to remember what he was doing or how big he was. So here is to a new year and most blog posts!
To sum up the last 11 weeks is a little difficult, it's been a whirlwind of emotions. I/We have grown so much as a Mother, Wife and as a family.
Two weeks after Oliver was born, Owen woke up a Saturday morning with puke in his bed and matted in his hair. This was prior to the flu epidemic so I wasn't really thinking flu. Owen has had the pukes a few times and then he is better by the afternoon. No such luck here, he puked for two days. Luckily it was the weekend and Merrick was able to stay with him and I kept Oliver in the bedroom. I have never washed my hands to much in my life.
IMG_5216.jpg

Owen finally was starting to show a little life on Sunday night.
That Monday morning we woke up to Oliver with a matted shut eye. I knew this could not be good. He was only 2 weeks old. We called the Dr and they got us in right away. My Mom came over and watched Owen so Merrick and I could head to the Dr. I knew it wasn't good and had a bad feeling. Oliver had somewhat of a cold as well and his breathing was very raspy. Dr. Marshall came in the room looked at Oliver and said "that's not good". My heart stank. She said this type of infection usually happens to about 1 in 1,000 and rarely in newborns. She brought another Dr. in the room to take a look and then admitted him into Bromenn right way to get started on antibiotics. No one really had an answer for us on what exactly was wrong with his eye. Later we finally found out his cold could have simply settled in his tear duct which then clogged and caused it to form a bacterial infection. Once we were admitted to the hospital they took Oliver off to get his IV, this had to be the worse part of the whole experience for Merrick and I. Here we are in a hospital room with our 2 week old 10 pound baby and they are taking him away to put in an IV, we have no answers on what is wrong with him (at this point). We could hear him crying as we cried sitting in the room helpless. About 15 minutes later the nurse returned with Oliver and he had an IV in his head, I about lost it. The nurse assured us this is the best and least painful place for the IV for him. I spent the rest of the day cuddling my sweet boy and making sure he was comfortable. He got a dose of antibiotics every 6 hours. He was such a good boy, never made a peep just slept. We had a few visitors. My Sister Amanda brought us things from home since we went straight over to the hospital from the Dr. Appt. Merrick's Dad came straight up  when he heard Oliver was admitted. He provided us much needed prayer. Merrick's Mom and Sisters came up and my Mom. Owen stayed with my little Sister Kelly, then Merrick's parents. I was very thankful he was not longer sick that would have been tough. Little did we know he was still contagious though, and got every single person he stayed with sick (sorry about that everyone!).  Oliver stayed in the hospital from Monday until Wednesday for observation and antibiotics. I never left his side.  By the time we were released his eye looked so much better. We saw the eye Dr. the following day he said Oliver's eye recovered really well and that we didn't need to come back unless it got clogged again and then we would need to discuss surgery to open that duct. Thankfully, he has not had any issues again.




IMG_5223.jpg






We returned home on Wednesday and Saturday Merrick came down with the flu bug, that kept him in bed for 4 days! I was definitely being tested.

After this first month, we had both of my Sister's get married! Owen was Ring Bearer in both weddings and did an amazing job. I was so freaking proud of him!





I went back to work on January 14 and gave my two week  notice. My last day at work was January 25, I started the most difficult but rewarding job in the world. This deserves a post of it's own! Summed up we had been praying about this for a very long time and two weeks before I was to go back to work I had a very strong conviction that I needed to stay at home with my boys. After that my decision was easy, I will miss my friends at work but nothing compares to the joy I get from being with my boys everyday. More to come on this. I have learned A LOT about myself and I will forever cherish the changing relationship Owen and I have formed.






Oliver is 4 months old next week! I've done so poorly at capturing his milestones.
He is such a good baby, I didn't think we would be so lucky to get another good baby but we did. He rarely cries and when he does he's usually just hungry or tired. We were all sick (again) last week with horrible colds and the poor little guy got it too. Last Friday night he screamed all night long, it was horrible and I knew something was majority wrong because it's probably more than he cried in his whole life combined. Sure enough I took him into the Dr. and he had a double ear infection...poor baby.
-He's eating about every 3-4 hours. He exclusively nurses unless I'm gone. I'm pretty proud of this because with Owen he nursed for a month then I pumped for 9. It's SO much easier not to have to pump. I did have a good freezer stash going because I had an oversupply at first and needed to pump in the mornings after he ate. We went to Cancun a few weeks ago and he blew through most of that. I do pump still when I know I will be gone but that's about it.
-He's been sleeping through the night since about 5 weeks old. I will admit he's still sleeping in our room in his rock n play. I'm not sure how to even approach the crib transition because Owen and him will share rooms and Owen is SOOO loud until he finally falls asleep. I think I will attempt this next week. Oliver does take his first nap in his crib though, so that's a step in the right direction.
-He's rolling over from belly to back. He really dislikes tummy time so it usually takes him about 2 seconds to flip over to his back.
-He's always smiling and cooing.
-Similar to Owen he has a love for Sophie the Giraffe. His Grammy got him a stuffed Sophie and he really loves her.
-At his Dr. appointment for his ears last Saturday he weighed 15 lbs.
-He is starting to get on a schedule now that our lives have settled down.
Wakes up around 7AM, lately it has been 6AM and he eats and goes back to sleep for a hour.
Eats again around 9:15 then naps in his crib until 11ish
Naps again around 1 until 3
Catnap around 5
Bed around 9








Owen is such a bigger helper and is finally POTTY TRAINED! I am now a firm believer in the 3 day method. I went from a little boy that wanted nothing to do with the potty chair to completely potty trained in 3 days. He even insist of going on the big potty now instead of his potty chair. I am so relieved! This has been an on-going topic for us for the last 6 months.




Phew...that was a long post! More to come....in a timely fashion!





2 comments:

  1. OH how scary the whole hospital incident must have been! What cute boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I can't imagine what you must have felt having Olie in the the hospital for 3 days. Such a scary situation! I am so happy everything worked out well in the end. You guys had a very tough few months!

    And again congrats on your decision to become a SAHM. It looks like you are thoroughly enjoying the time with your adorable boys!

    ReplyDelete