Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Favorite Things


Looking back on the last 6 months I've been wanting to write a post about my favorite things so far. Some have been life savers and some have just been nice to have. Of course you could do without most, but if they make things easier I'm all about it! 
I have a few friends expecting and I've received  a few emails from them asking about certain things or my opinion on a product. I know when I registered I was so overwhelmed and all the help I could get from new Moms was a blessing!
Starting with Owen's newborn days. He did a lot of sleeping, eating and sleeping some more.

We actually received this used from Merricks's co-worker. I haven't really seen them around too much but Owen loved to sleep in it. Some nights we even put him in it if all else failed. It was his security blanket I think. We used it from day one at home. He fit in it perfectly cuddled up and we could put it anywhere and take it anywhere because it folded up nicely.
We used it until he was about 3 months and did not want to be laying down anymore.

I registered for this after I saw suggestions from other Moms. Not really thinking I would find it that helpful. Let me tell you, when you are sleep deprived and don't know day from night you will find this little timer to be an angel. I used it to keep track of the last time Owen ate, how long he was nursing, which was the last side he nursed on, it even has a little night light I would use it to check on him when he was next to me in the bassinet in the dark. It was perfect. I even ran the batteries out of it, which in turn weaned me off of it. It was a huge help and I would highly recommend it to new Moms! I also used an app on my IPhone which was the same concept so I could keep track while we were out of the house. Right when I got home I used it to keep track of last time I took pain medications etc. All concept of time is thrown out the window, so it's very helpful!
It also has a little light which we found very useful in the middle of the night to check on our little peanut in his bassinet.

Ask most Moms and they will agree, the boppy is a must! We used if from day one at the hospital and still using it today. Of course different uses, but it has so many :) I have a few different covers which is nice.






and now that he is sitting up like a big boy sometimes I just use it to put behind him to cushion the frequent falls!

These bottles have worked for us. Owen is a known spitter upper, and they did not eliminate the problem but they seemed to be the best. We tried Playtex at first and the nipples were either too slow or too fast. He uses level 2 nipples right now but I think is ready to jump to level 3 here soon. It's nice because I think they have levels 1-4. They have 4 oz bottles and 8 oz bottles. Of course Owen is using 8 oz bottles now, but when he was only taking 4 oz he used the smaller one. Now they look so tiny because my piggy eats between 7-8 oz per bottle. One downfall which seems the same with all bottles is their are a lot of parts to clean. Since we wash bottles every night between my breast milk/pumping bottles and his bottles it really has just become a routine so no biggie. They can also be thrown in the dishwasher, we use the dishwasher basket from Munchin for all the parts and nipples.

This was such a great invention!! My cousin handed this down to me. You snap the baby seat right into it. It's so easy especially when they are tiny ones. It's similar to the travel systems minus all the bulk. It was so easy haul around. Unfortunately we have outgrown it, Owen likes to be in his carrier and little as possible now that he is sitting up. We also have a jogging stroller which is a HUGE pain to haul around especially in my car. I use it mostly when we are at home (outside) or going somewhere that we will not be in and out a lot. I do really like to use it. 
 I recently just purchased a Britax Lightweight Stroller I've only used it once but find it much easier to use for shopping etc. And Owen loves to sit up like a big boy and watch everything that is going on.

A few misc things that we preferred were the thicker blankets for swaddling. Carter makes some nice ones. We never had enough of these when Owen was little. Use still use them to cover him up in bed now and in his car seat now that it's colder out. We got a lot of the flannel ones at showers they were not as soft or big enough, we now use them on our changing table for a cover.
Zipper jammies is a MUST, trust me on this one. The last thing you want to be doing in the middle of the night is button up a crying baby or half a sleep. Since Owen was born in the summer we also used the gowns too, which wouldn't be as practical in the winter since you would want their little toes covered.
We still use mostly zipper jammies but do have button ones too which isn't a big deal since we don't get up multiple times a night and change him. I love the fleece ones now that it's chilly out.
I'm sure we have a lot more items, but these are a few that come to mind! Hope it's helpful!
Did I miss anything for you Mom's out there?!

1 comment:

  1. The Itzbeen timer was a life saver and I really had a hard time stopping its use! I loved it in the hospital because the nurses would want to know when Brayden had been changed and due to my C-section I couldn't get up and B forgot sometimes to write it down- but I knew thanks to that timer! It helped me get Brayden to go a little longer between feedings too, because I knew exactly how long it had been since he nursed.

    We used the boppy a TON as well, and I actually carried one in the car with me too!

    I am also with you on the zippered jammies. We didn't have a lot of them at first! Now that it is cold out, Brayden has been wearing them a LOT more and it sure is easier to get him ready for bed! :)

    ReplyDelete